culturally responsive teaching is a pedagogy that recognizes the importance of including students’ cultural references in all aspects of learning. (ladson-billings, 1994.) cultural competence is a key factor in enabling educators to be effective with students from cultures other than their own. cultural competence is having an awareness of one’s own cultural identity and views and having the ability to learn and build on the varying cultural and community norms of students and their families. it is the ability to understand the differences that make each student unique while celebrating the variations that make our country a tapestry. this understanding informs and expands teaching practices as educators work towards having culturally competent learning environments. the goal is to eliminate academic gaps between cultural groups.
- - Incorporation of methods to establish culturally responsive school climates.
- - Requires Cultural Competency Materials (pp. 1 of 1)
- - Lists the Cultural Competency Components of a School Plan (pp. 1 of 1)
Evidence-Based Best Practices
- Civil Rights and Ethnic Education Resources
- Culturally Responsive Physical Environment Rubric
Having a culturally responsive learning environment for students is essential in the school setting. A good place to start is by ensuring students have a culturally responsive physical environment. One of the first areas students, staff, and family members observe is the physical environment in the classroom i.e. posters, books, and other learning materials. This rubric is a great first step for those who are beginning the culturally responsive journey as well as a great resource for those who are experienced in this work.
- Culturally Responsive practices and your School Improvement Plan
- CNA SIP Cultural Competency Crosswalk
- Cultural Competence Resources
- Black History Month
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day In his book, Free at Last The Language of Dr. King's Dream, Michael Clay Thompson analyzes Martin Luther King Jr.'s use of poetics in his infamous "I Have a Dream" speech. Click for a free sample of the Teacher Manual.
- Junior Great Books' shared inquiry on David Dinkins' speech delivered several days after Dr. King's assassination. Click for a sample unit.
- School Building Physical Security and Safety
- Tools that promote cultural responsiveness
HEA 1419 (2009) Resources
various professional development opportunities are available throughout the state. click on the links below to find information about these opportunities and about your regional idoe – school improvement contact(s).